Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Something you should know #1

Something you should know.(1)

I remember hearing about a Branch President who told his congregation that he knew the gospel was true and that if he didn’t he would be someplace else having “fun.” And I remember another time being taught that it was the Spirit that gave life to our church experience. The more we felt the Spirit, the more vibrant, uplifting, and “fun” our Church experience was. That’s true. Two individuals can be in the same meeting and one love it and the other may not like it very much. It’s the Spirit that makes the difference. And the Spirit comes and goes according to the things we do to cause it to come or go.

I’ve found that I have the Spirit when I try to do those common ordinary things that we’ve been taught we should do every day. When I start and end my day with prayer, when I read from the scriptures every day, and when I try to find ways to help others the Spirit comes into my life (of course obeying the commandments is important too).

I was with Joey when he received his patriarchal blessing. He was told that he would find that days he read from the Book of Mormon would be better days than when he didn’t. And a little while ago Jackie told me she was feeling kind of despondent and then decided to become more committed to reading from the scriptures every day and the gloomy feeling went away. I believe it. That’s been my experience too.

No comments: